Re: Advice/Examples on Facility Guides

Subject: Re: Advice/Examples on Facility Guides
From: Marguerite Krupp <Marguerite_Krupp -at- BAYNETWORKS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:07:29 -0400

Regarding Sean's question about doc models and information non-providers:

I've recently become aware of a set of documents called Manufacturer's
Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) that all manufacturing facilities are required by
law (at least in Massachusetts, and maybe by OSHA) to have on hand at
facilities that use any chemicals onsite. This can even include fire
extinguishers. So you might want to see whether any of those documents are
available in your facility and whether they might provide a model you could
use. I'm thinking that they would be at least in a familiar format for
your users.

As for "Scheduling time" with unavailable people, my favorite tactic is to
"infiltrate." Be a "real" person, which means intruding your physical
presence into their world. Visit their labs and ask about equipment. Set up
a lunch or coffee time with them. Walk around the parking lot. That's
"unscheduled" time for most folks. And most of them like to talk about
their work to a willing listener.

One other thing (adapted from Machiavelli) that has worked well for me:
show them how it's to THEIR advantage to do what you want. In the case of
software developers, for example, I tell them that if the docs are correct,
fewer people will be bothering them with questions later, and they can
spend more time doing what they like to do...developing software!

I'm sure others will have more concrete suggestions. Good luck with your
project.

Marguerite

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=