Re: Intranet analysis tool sought

Subject: Re: Intranet analysis tool sought
From: Susan Vineyard <vineyard -at- CHEROKEE -dot- NSUOK -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:40:39 -0500

I have a very similar problem, but not a solution yet. I looked at NetFusion
Objects, but had the same problem--it wants to construct a facsimile of the
whole "project" on your hard drive to "manage" it. And I, also, do not have a
NT server (necessary for FontPage to use all it's functions, as I understand).

I'm using Dreamweaver to do some of my composition, and it will track broken
links and give you some management capabilities.

I'm also looking into Robohelp, since I'll be using it for a help project later
on. I'm waiting to upgrade to RoboOffice, however, because a new version should
be out within this calendar year. I don't know how well it'll work for this
situation.

In my case, others in the company will continue to contribute by "publishing to
html" from WordPerfect, so I won't have control of what's put out there, but
need to be aware of it.

I'll be waiting to hear what others say and recommend!

--Susan Vineyard

John Cornellier wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Background: I have inherited an enormous intranet (5500 files / 100MB) which
> has grown up amorphously over the years, rather like a coral reef.
>
> Up to now it has been managed on an ad hoc basis by a number of different
> parties, & I now want to [re]structure it. I haven't yet used a site
> management software such as FrontPage. I have a license for this software,
> but I'm having trouble setting it up because the server is UNIX. FP wants to
> "import" the site in order to set up the "website". It took 4 hours to
> import 300MB, and one it had done that my PC (P120 / 64MB) was unable to do
> what I wanted (analyze links, etc..).
>
> So am I barking up the wrong tree? Does anyone know of a quick website
> analysis tool which will enable me to figure out what's going on with a
> minimal investment in time / money / learning? I don't need help with FTP
> and writing the HTML, or even updating things at this point, just an
> analysis.
>
> Any advice most gratefuly received by
> John Cornellier
> tech writer, Paris
> mailto:cornelli -at- clamart -dot- srpc -dot- slb -dot- com
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=