Re: PDF Embedded fonts question

Subject: Re: PDF Embedded fonts question
From: Roger Jones <Roger -dot- Jones -at- RJPC -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:13:45 +0100

At 13:18 24/09/98 -0400, Brian Lightfoot wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>A quick question regarding font embedding:
>(1) Should I embed fonts at all?
>If so,
>(2) Should I embed all fonts (just in case)? Are there any drawbacks to
>this, file size, etc.?
>(3) Or should I embedd only those fonts used in my current template (and
>hope I picked all of them)?

Brian

If you want the recipient of the file to see exactly what you see and to
print exactly what you print, as I do with my academic authors, you have to
embed fonts. If you don't and the font you used is absent on the
recipient's system, that system will substitute a possibly abominable
approximation. Yes, embedding does increase file size, but not wildly. As
an intensive and extensive user of PDFs, I have come to the conclusion that
it's not worth cutting corners on font embedding.

All the best

Roger Jones, Publisher
Publishing -at- rjpc -dot- demon -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=