Re: Techwriter and designer?

Subject: Re: Techwriter and designer?
From: Robert Barlow-Busch <bob -at- SONYCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:31:03 +0200

> My goal is to be become in charge of the design of the
> interface AND also be responsible for the documentation.
>
> Did that happen to anyone?

Absolutely! In my previous job, the documentation team
became responsible for creating our products' GUIs. We
designed touchscreen interfaces using an application called
PhAB, for systems that run on QNX. Now, at my current job,
I'm helping to move the documentation team in that same
direction. We've designed one GUI for Windows NT, and there
are plans for us to design even more in the future.

The benefits are clear: we're not only involved with the
project from the beginning, but we, to a large extent,
create the user's whole experience with the product. It's
very satisfying work! Also, it makes the process of writing
documentation not only much easier, but significantly more
rewarding; you don't waste time writing around design
paradigms that are of no help to the user.

How do you get started with this sort of work? Convince the
developers and management that you'll save everyone time. If
you design the interface, you may spend significantly less
time writing its documentation and interviewing developers.
The developers can spend significantly more time working on
the logic behind the interface. You might also argue that
the quality of the product will improve; have the "user"
interface built by people whose entire focus is on the
"user".

A few warnings: don't take on this work unless you truly
have some skill in interface design and at least a basic
understanding of some principles of human-computer
interaction. Be certain that you can do a better job.
Remember: interface design is a profession on its own. If
possible, convince your company to hire trained
professionals to develop and test your interfaces; you will
learn a LOT by working with these people.

This can be a big step towards moving from technical writer
to user-experience architect. Make sure you're ready for it,
and that it's what you want to do!

Robert Barlow-Busch

bob -at- sonycom -dot- com
Sony Platform Software Development Center
Brussels, Belgium

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=