My Int'l TW Experience

Subject: My Int'l TW Experience
From: Matt Danda <mdanda2 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 06:38:37 -0700

Saw the post on working overseas...I have stories of how I landed a TW
job in Brussels last year. See the following for more:

BTW, you'll notice that some info is conspicuously missing, notably
the "Why I quit" part. Essentially, tech writing can be a tough
profession in software development companies, and when you combine the
rigors of TW and the disorientation of cross-cultural environments,
plus the headaches of making a living (as opposed to being a student),
well, it's not so fun and easy to be a tech writer overseas. (I was
actually discriminated against as an American. I chose to quit rather
than pursue legal action, primarily out of exhaustion from the whole

It has its good points, don't get me wrong, but I would recommend
speding a year in a study abroad program rather than as an employee.
Sure, you have no money as a student, but you have the time to soak up
the culture. Work is work, no matter the country. Anyway, good luck.

Matthew Danda
Technical Writer in Software Development
Orlando, Florida

Get your free address at

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=