Re: My Int'l TW Experience

Subject: Re: My Int'l TW Experience
From: Tytus Pluciennik <tytusp -at- ADLEX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 16:24:40 +0200

I just wanted to add to Matt's comments that currently I am in the same
position. I am a Canadian working in Gdansk (Poland) and I fully agree that
the rigors of Technical writing overseas are too much to give you any time
to take in the culture and the people. I am currently spending all of my
time at work or doing things related! Add to this the fact that you have had
all your comforts of home pulled away from you, and you feel isolated in and
out of work. A year and a half here has made me a tough cookie, but things
were very rough at times. Mental exhaustion does take a hold of you.

The point being is that just getting used to a new culture is tough enough,
though its mostly rewarding in the long run. But committing to a demanding
job at the same time prevents you from meeting and enjoying the new land.
You end up just working for money's sake I guess. Well, I plan to quit the
job by next spring and enjoy this country and the rest of Europe. My advice
for people who are planning to work overseas would be that you don't commit
to a large project right away. Take your time settling in and meeting people
and preferably take a part-time position until you are sure you feel very
comfortable working 9-5. The idea of becoming a regular in a foreign place
is sometimes overpowering and actually impossible.

Tytus Pluciennik,
Gdansk, Poland
tytusp -at- adlex -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=