Re: My Int'l TW Experience

Subject: Re: My Int'l TW Experience
From: Sandra McDonnell <sandy -at- MCCABE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:16:03 -0400

To all regarding international experiences...

Although I did not work overseas, I recently spent two years living in
Norway. There I met many many American and British expats. It all comes
down to the issue that you have to expect adjustment issues. You will be
living in a new culture. It IS different that what you're used to. You
won't have the comforts of home. If it's your first job out of school,
you'll also be adjusting to working full time rather than being a
student -- a big adjustment in itself.

On the other hand, if you expect the culture shock, do what you can to
meet others and make friends, both expats and nationals, living and
working overseas can be very rewarding. Many people choose to have
extended expat careers and wouldn't have it any other way. It is an
inexpensive way to see the world. Most of Europe takes many more weeks
of vacation than we do, you may have a chance to learn another language
and you'll make friends and expand your horizens. I think personality
type plays a big role in whether or not you're happy in an expat
situation.

Sandy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=