Re: Techwriter and designer?

Subject: Re: Techwriter and designer?
From: "E. Gail Miedema" <egail -at- TELEPORT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:21:31 -0700

> My goal is to be become in charge of the design of the
> interface AND also be responsible for the documentation.
>
> Did that happen to anyone?

We are releasing an application next month.

I wrote the original design documents for the interface
(Windows 95/NT style) and have assisted the GUI engineer as
hands-on developer. This allowed me to ensure the quality
of the information embedded in the interface, from field
labels to status bar messages to online Help.

I also designed the icon set used in the toolbar and
developed the engineering requirements templates.
Plus, I am relied upon when usability issues arise.

With the move toward more information included in the interface,
I think the logical people to play a leading role in interface
design are technical writers.

Cheers!
--E. Gail Miedema

http://www.teleport.com/~egail