Re: Techwriter and designer?

Subject: Re: Techwriter and designer?
From: "Robyn M. Nace" <robyn -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:52:36 -0400

I must say that I envy all of those who posted saying that they have
successfully convinced their employers that tech writers are useful (even
invaluable) in the design of a product.

While I was at my first job out of college, I did have a chance to impact the
design of the Help system, and even, to a lesser extent, the product itself. I
was a junior technical writer in a large group, so it was more difficult to be
heard. We also had separate UI and Usability groups who had more impact on the
design.

My most recent position, as the only technical writer and as a member of the UI
team, afforded me absolutely no impact on the design at all. I wasn't even
always told when releases were going to happen! I'm no longer at that company.

I don't know that Technical Writers should be *responsible for* or *in charge
of* the UI, but I do believe that Tech Writers should be involved in the design
process, and act as champions for the users. In fact, I would say that separate
UI and Tech Writing teams are a necessity when it comes to releasing a product.
I will never again work for a company that doesn't believe that Tech Writers
are anything more than wordsmiths or "non-technical employees."

Just my 2 cents!

--

Robyn M. Nace
robyn -at- hotmail -dot- com