Re: Has the Web advanced the written word?

Subject: Re: Has the Web advanced the written word?
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:58:10 -0500

I regard the posts like I do a conversation. I overlook grammar flaws,
typos, and so forth as if I was hearing the person converse with me. That
is, I'm interested in the ideas more than I am the eloquence. If the
grammar and typos obfuscate the meaning, I ask for clarification.

I'm not the type of person who corrects someone's speech as they talk. To
me, that's what pointing out typos and grammar flaws in posts to the list
equate to. IMO, those who do this really aren't interested in conversation
as much as they are in one-upsmanship.

A person's grammar and style in a generating a response to the list does not
forge my opinion of that person nearly as much as their ideas do. However,
the responses to someone's oversights forge my opinions greatly.

Mike

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Staff Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.intergraph.com/software/geomedia/default.asp

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=