Re: Telecommuting...?

Subject: Re: Telecommuting...?
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- MAIL -dot- SYSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:51:50 -0700

> What kinds of jobs have successful telecommuters done? What were the
> characteristics of the jobs? What worked...and what didn't? And for you
> who've farmed them out, what worked and what didn't?

I telecommuted for a job and found it worked very well in the circumstances,
while recognizing that not all jobs would work so well. In this case, the
software I was documenting was in use, eliminating the moving-target
problem. Also, the software ran on a UNIX machine that I could log onto via
modem, to try things out and see how they worked. Also, to download screen
shots. I had phone access to everyone who had info I needed. The process
was: go to the site and interview/watch the folks using the software, making
notes and taping; go home and write. I visited the site for a day or two
every 3 weeks or so.

I have done data analysis and report writing for years at home. People
provide me with the data, either paper or in a data file. I analyze the data
using statistical software at home and write up the results.

Janet

----
Janet Valade,
Technical Writer, Systech Corporation, San Diego, CA
mailto:janetv -at- systech -dot- com
For every complex situation, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and
wrong.

Henry Louis Mencken

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=