Q: When do "editors" get credit?

Subject: Q: When do "editors" get credit?
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 12:05:41 -0700

Hi folks,

I'd like some outside opinions about whether technical editors
should get credits as "authors" or "contributors" in publicly-
distibuted documents.

I've had this discussion a number of times, in-house, when I've
worked on a document (ostensibly as the "editor") and ended
up writing half of it. In these situations I think that my role needs
to be redefined as "author" rather than "editor," but it's some-
times difficult to get buy-in from developers who think that it is
not advantageous to list a technical writer as a primary or even
secondary author. There seems to be an unwritten rule that
the developer always gets listed as primary author, even if they
only added two sentences to a 1500-word article.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Rowena

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer