Re: Q: When do "editors" get credit?

Subject: Re: Q: When do "editors" get credit?
From: David Lettvin <dlettvin -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 12:56:11 -0700

I'm surprised ANYONE gets their name on the book. Most companies I've
been with have been paranoid about having names of personnel in the
manuals. Being proud of my work I had to figure out an undetectable
way to sign it. My books contained some very strange user names
(anagrams) and lists (acrostics).

But that doesn't help you.

The developer can sign the program with an Easter eggs. If you wrote
the manual, the name on it should be yours. Maybe you should demand to
put your name on their program.

I guess it's no surprise why this is an "unwritten" rule. Maybe you
could approach it from that standpoint and see if they want to go on
record about this policy.

I've jumped and made enough noise. Good luck.

---Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like some outside opinions about whether technical editors
> should get credits as "authors" or "contributors" in publicly-
> distibuted documents.
>
> I've had this discussion a number of times, in-house, when I've
> worked on a document (ostensibly as the "editor") and ended
> up writing half of it. In these situations I think that my role needs
> to be redefined as "author" rather than "editor," but it's some-
> times difficult to get buy-in from developers who think that it is
> not advantageous to list a technical writer as a primary or even
> secondary author. There seems to be an unwritten rule that
> the developer always gets listed as primary author, even if they
> only added two sentences to a 1500-word article.
>
> What are your thoughts on the subject?
>
> Rowena

> Rowena Hart
> Technical Writer