Re: Visio to Word97 Conversion (from digest)

Subject: Re: Visio to Word97 Conversion (from digest)
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:52:48 +0200

David,

one thing you always must keep in mind. When you have a raster graphic,
such as a screenshot, you are stuck with a raster graphic, no matter
whether you convert it to a WMF, EPS, PICT or so (unless you process it
with a vectorizer, such as Adobe Streamline). So, when you have a raster
graphic, you can not easily scale it, even if you have placed it into a
vector format.

On the other hand, rasterizing vector graphics gets you to a certain size
and resolution, and there you are stuck. But there are cases where
rasterizing vector graphics is really needed. This is the case when you
have a very complex drawing from a CAD program. Redisplaying will then take
too much time, way more than with a raster graphic.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
WWW: http://www.prodok.ch/prodok

Bridging the Knowledge Gap

______________________

>The problem with using screen capture is that you lose the advantage
>of vector graphic resolution and scalability. If you need to resize
>the graphic, or if you are going to publish the document as an Acrobat
>file, much of your effort to create the graphic will have gone to
>waste. Converting to WMF, EPF or some similar vector format will give
>you the best results.
>Since I don't know what you will do with the graphic it's hard to give
>specific advice, but here are some pointers that may help:
>*Keep the graphics as simple as possible. Break large graphics into
>several smaller ones.
>*Don't use a light typeface. Standard or bold is best.
>*Don't use hairlines for graphics or callouts. Most lossiness in
>graphics conversions is the result of thin lines disappearing when
>they're scaled. This is very common in Visio since a lot of their
>templates use fine lines.
>*A good way to experiment with this is to "select all" and increase
>line weight a point or so at a time. then convert. You'll soon figure
>out what the best settings are.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=