Re: Date and Time

Subject: Re: Date and Time
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:47:56 -0700

Mr. Feeman wrote:

> ... MM/DD/YYYY and HH:MM:SS. Do I
> need to give an example of a date and a time or do people out of the
> military know what these formats are without examples?

Nothing in the format specifies whether the program requires 12-hour or
24-hour (a.k.a. "military") encoding of the time. Similarly, it's not
clear whether the month and day *must* or *may* include two digits.

I think most English-speaking readers will understand the required order
of fields from the format. But an example of the required contents
would be more helpful:

4:05 p.m., Feb. 7, 98 ==> 02/07/1998 16:05:00

This example alone doesn't clear up *all* the questions (specifically
"must vs. may"), but it's a start.

--David

David M. Brown -- Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
http://www.brown-inc.com/
See our web site for news about HTML Indexer, the easiest way to
create and maintain indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=