Re: Any Word on Word?

Subject: Re: Any Word on Word?
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:22:04 +0200

Al,

This is the kind of question that really evokes horror stories, tales of
crashing machines and corrupted files, and most of them are not
exaggerated. Word is known to have problems with large documents
containing lots of graphics, cross-references and other "fancy" stuff.
The more information it has to handle, the more it
?s likely to give up.
But that is the case for all applications really. But some can take the
pressure better. Framemaker for instance handles large documents much
better than Word does (don?t know about PageMaker). Framemaker is
designed to make books with, Word to write documents. There is the
difference.
If you are going to use Word for large documents, try to keep the file
as small as possible; for instance by linking all the images instead of
embedding them into your document (this doesn?t mean you will not crash,
but it is better practice IMHO).

Anyway, good luck and hope it works out.

Jeroen Hendrix
PolyDoc
The Netherlands

Mail to: jhe -at- polydoc -dot- com
http://www.polydoc.com

Al Brown <aheb -at- VOICENET -dot- COM> on 10/16/98 04:53:07 AM

Please respond to Al Brown <aheb -at- VOICENET -dot- COM>

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Jeroen Hendrix)
Subject: Any Word on Word?

My department is wondering whether to consider using Word 97 instead of
PageMaker for our major documents. We're being encouraged to do so by our
translation agencies, who claim we'd save on costs, but the people who
broker our printing don't want us to, for reasons that they aren't too
specific about. Our manuals are about 50-100 pages and up, with a
substantial number of graphics.
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with experiences to
share--positive
or negative.

Thanks!
-Al Brown