Re: The George Mena Affair (with suitable accompanying music)

Subject: Re: The George Mena Affair (with suitable accompanying music)
From: Bruce Ashley <bja -at- MELBPC -dot- ORG -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 07:57:52 +1000

Elna, Elna, Elna.

<sigh>

You are as guilty as George of sexist comments. Yours was just more Freudian
than his.

Men on the list (and thank heavens I'm not one) may have been offended too
but you forgot about them.

And, I don't see why women in general on this list should be offended. His
comments were only directed at loud mouthed ones.

Also, I don't like loudmouthed women either. But then again, I don't like
loud mouths of any gender. I find that a loud mouth usually covers up a
deficiency in personality or ability or (as is often the case) both.

Laurie's comments on this are also a disappointment as she is querying the
validity of George's TW advise based on his 'sexist' comments.

I'm sorry but I didn't know that there was a gender involved in importing
GIFs, laying out data, working in MIF etc ad nausium. George has always been
helpful and his advice usually good.

Personally, I think you two (and any others that also flame him on this
issue) have over-reacted.

Since I have been on the list, George's style has always been
tongue-in-cheek. His comments were either that, or based on his real life
experiences in which case, in his particular environment, he may be right.
We are not to know (although I suspect George over generalized as usual :)).

The real question here, I think, should be "what is valid on this list".
George's comments weren't on this occassion and I'm sure Eric will give him
a smack.

If you get to read this George, I'll see you when you get back on :)

Bruce Ashley
OZ

>George Mena wrote:

. Loudmouth women are nothing but
>> trouble. They are to be avoided whenever possible.
>
>The worth of whatever else George may have had to say got totally lost in
my
>reaction to the above. If ever there was a case of blatant sexism at work,
it
>was obvious in the paragraph above.
>
>The problem, dear George, is not with male-female interactions. It's with
>interactions between PEOPLE. Gender has nothing to do with it. NOTHING.
>
>George - you owe the women on this list - and I suspect they outnumber the
men -
>quite an apology for your over-generalized remarks.
>
>Elna Tymes
>Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=