Re: An ugly job incident

Subject: Re: An ugly job incident
From: Cam Whetstone <camw -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:14:06 -0400

> Automatic digest processor wrote:

> This happened to me last week, and I'm still stunned. Before I get to
> the question, there's some history.
>
> History:

SNIP (A lot)

> They told me my severance pay depends on my manager determining that I
> didn't steal anything. I won't know if I get my severance pay until
> the end of this month when it will be deposited in my account.
>
> Questions:
>
> Do you think I was wrong to throw away notes and old edited documents?
> Have any of you had something similar happen, like being accused of
> stealing?
> Do you think I have legal recourse if I don't receive my severance?
> Is this a clear case of defamation of character?

I do not know if it is a case of defamation of character, but I would
call an attorney and see if there is not some basis for you to sue.
When the woman first was made manager, you should have been looking to
get out the door. Waiting as long as you did, did not help. You were
treated poorly, but then it was a startup. I would also venture a guess
that the company will not be around long. One of management's primary
tasks is to eval;uate employees. It seems they really botched it here
(based on your side of the story, and what happened). The important
part is not to let yourself get down over this. Another problem you may
facxe is a poor reference. The supervisor seems to be vindictive, and
you might have trouble getting a job with her reference. You could
check by having your attorney call stating he is interviewing you for a
job and find out what she says. A bad reference is enough to get you a
nice lawsuit.

Good luck.

Cam

Cam Whetstone