Re: An ugly job incident

Subject: Re: An ugly job incident
From: Wes Tracy <wtracy -at- IU -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:02:18 -0400

Anon,

My sympathies. I don't think the situation is that hopeless, however.
I probably wouldn't go to the expense of getting a lawyer right away,
though. I would probably send a very polite registered letter to HR
explaining that your supervisor had mentioned an intention to deny you
severance pay, and inquiring how much pay, if any, you will actually be
receiving. Explain that since you are "unexpectedly unemployed" the
severance pay is very important to you, that it is your understanding
all of the other people laid off are getting severance pay, and that you
are only trying to determine what actions, if any, might be necessary on
your part to ensure your own best interests. I wouldn't mention any of
the reasons your supervisor offered. Let her explain them to HR. A
decent HR person would ask her what proof she has that would stand up in
small claims court.

One other thing I would definitely do is have a friend, preferably one
that is familiar with HR type talk, to call both the company HR and your
ex-supervisor. They should say you are being considered for a position
and should inquire as to your performance and reason for leaving. I
would do this at the 1-2 week point after getting laid off, and again
(with a different friend) after a couple months. I would make sure up
front that the friend doing this favor for you, though, is willing to
testify if negative comments are given. You might even want another
witness to listen on an extension. DON'T tape it unless you know for a
fact it's legal in your state. It would only hurt. If your
name/reputation is done wrong in these phone calls, definitely go see a
lawyer. Good luck.

begin:          vcard
fn:             Wes Tracy
n:              Tracy;Wes
adr;dom:        ;;;Palm Bay;FL;;
email;internet: wtracy -at- iu -dot- net
title:          Technical Writing Consultant
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard