Profession Ethics/Standards

Subject: Profession Ethics/Standards
From: Debbie Figus <debbief -at- NETVISION -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:30:12 +0200

The issues raised on the list recently make me want
to see some sort of Profession Ethics/Standards
for Technical Writers. If there was an internationally
agreed upon code for technical communicators, maybe
we'd hear fewer of these horror stories, since people
would have guidelines for professional behavior
specifically related to our type of work.

When I was a social worker, we had a Code of Ethics.
I don't just mean "good ideas" or "wouldn't that be
nice." I'm thinking about black and white do's and
don't's.

An example from my social work experience: client
confidentiality. It was strictly forbidden to discuss
anything about a client with anyone other than a
colleague for the purpose of dealing with the client
(professional advice, etc.) Social workers are not
allowed talk to friends, spouses, anyone else about
their clients.

Then, if you heard about a social worker being fired
for violating client confidentiality, you might feel
sorry they lost their job, particularly if they were
talented in their work. You could also understand that
sometimes it's tough to maintain that standard. But at
the same time you had to agree that it's a basic pillar
of the profession, and it must be upheld.

For technical communicators, the professional code might
establish rules about things like:
* storing personal files on the company's server, or on
our own workstation
* what to do with handwritten or other notes once a
project is finished
* who owns any of the above: the company, or the techncial
communicator?

Just wondering what you all think about this.

Debbie Figus
Excalibur Systems
Jerusalem, Israel

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=