Re: Profession Ethics/Standards

Subject: Re: Profession Ethics/Standards
From: Rahel Bailie <rbailie -at- CASTLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:03:22 -0700

The STC has ethical guidelines, approved by the Board of Directors in
1995. However, unless there's regulation similar to that of other
professions (legal, health, accounting professionals), they are not
enforceable. This is part of the certification debate that has raged
within the STC for a number of years. Do we want certification and all
the regulatory provisions that come with it? The vote is split, and the
question is an open can of worms at STC and will be, I suspect, for some
time to come.

> Debbie Figus wrote:

>The issues raised on the list recently make me want
to see some sort of Profession Ethics/Standards
for Technical Writers. If there was an internationally
agreed upon code for technical communicators, maybe
we'd hear fewer of these horror stories, since people
would have guidelines for professional behavior
specifically related to our type of work.<

Rahel Bailie
(604) 293-0039

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=