Need Help, Quick!!!

Subject: Need Help, Quick!!!
From: David Dubin <David_Dubin -at- BESTSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:00:10 -0400

Again thanks to all who responded. It was a matter of needing ammunition in
the form of hard responses for a confrontation with a superior that had
other ideas on training documentation. I pretty much figured how the
answers would be, because that is how I am currently developing our
courseware. Only one set of answers was outside my norm, and that was
number 3. Below is a compilation of the answers and thanks to all once
again!!

David Dubin

In this survey, 47 people sent in answers. Some people did not answer all
the questions so I took the total number of answers for a particular
question and used it as the basis for the percentages for all answers. Each
answer is, therefore, a percentage of the total number of each responses to
that question. I have listed them in descending order.

1. Would you describe steps with bullets, numbers, or some other form of
enumeration?
Numbers - 98%

2. How many different types of enumerative devices (excluding numbers)
would you put into a training manual?
One to two - 67% I took this to mean two levels of bullets
As many as necessary - 17%

3. Which would you rather use?
Click the XYZ button - 59%
Click XYZ button - 33%
Click on the XYZ button - 8%

4. Other than quoting titles, do you use italics, and if so, for what?
Yes - 76% No - 24%
Emphasis - 29%
Introduce a new item - 24% (There were seven other instances reported)

5. Forgot the question after putting in the setup, sorry -I'm over 50 ;-}

6. Would you enclose any of the following elements in a box in the text or
instructions?
No - 91% To make it certain, 9% even said NEVER.

7. Do you use underlining?
98% said no and of that number, 9% said NEVER. However, underlining was
used for hypertext reasons.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=