Re: Eliminating .txt file hard returns

Subject: Re: Eliminating .txt file hard returns
From: Greg Anderson <Greg -dot- Anderson -at- CENTRAL -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:47:13 -0600

Hello Gary,

When your colleague downloaded the document, did he do so from a Netscape
Browser? If so, revisit the site and select:

1. File -> SaveAs...

2. Format for Saved Document: Text

If your colleague instead selected a link, revisit the site and select:

1. (Point to the link...) with Right Mouse Button Select Save Link As...

2. Repeat Step 2 above.

Regards,

Greg 'Andy' Anderson

Gary Robinson <Robinson -at- COMINC -dot- COM> posted:
|^|A colleague of mine downloaded an important reference document from the
|^|Internet. This document arrived as a .txt file containing hundreds (at
|^|least) superfluous hard returns. Currently the document is 555 pages
|^|long. We figure it is actually about a third of that length without the
|^|extra returns. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to automatically
|^|remove these returns? To remove them manually could take years and cost
|^|thousands of lives.
|^|
|^|A search of the Techwr-l archives didn't prove helpful. I tried
|^|everything suggested without success. All suggestions are appreciated.

|| Greg 'Andy' Anderson | Sun Microsystems Broomfield, CO ||
|| Desktop Productivity Tools | Document Conversion Service ||
|| MS:UMBRM14-430 | email: greg -dot- anderson -at- Central -dot- Sun -dot- COM ||

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=