Eliminating .txt file hard returns -Reply

Subject: Eliminating .txt file hard returns -Reply
From: David Spiteri <DSPITERI -at- TUC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:53:32 -0500

This can be done in Word by doing a find and replace on two consecutive Paragraph Marks and replaceing them with one paragraph mark. Repeat process until there are no longer any hits. This means that there are no longer any places in the document where two consecutive hard returns exist.

>>> Gary Robinson <Robinson -at- COMINC -dot- COM> 10/21/98 02:19pm >>>
Hello,

A colleague of mine downloaded an important reference document from the
Internet. This document arrived as a .txt file containing hundreds (at
least) superfluous hard returns. Currently the document is 555 pages
long. We figure it is actually about a third of that length without the
extra returns. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to automatically
remove these returns? To remove them manually could take years and cost
thousands of lives.

A search of the Techwr-l archives didn't prove helpful. I tried
everything suggested without success. All suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

Gary G. Robinson, Technical Writer
COM, Inc. An Enprotech Company
7300 W. Huron River Drive