Re: Learning from others' manuals

Subject: Re: Learning from others' manuals
From: Keith Wolfe <keith -at- MERGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:20:52 -0600

Of course I read the documentation, but like John David Hickey wrote, I like
to tinker with the application first and turn to the documentation when I need
it (like most of us do). Heck, I also collect manuals.

Ok... so it isn't my main hobby, but when I get a user manual for anything ? a
new modem card, a ceiling fan, a lamp, whatever ? I keep the manual. This is a
great way to learn.

I'm a technical writer by degree. One of my favorite classes involved studying
and evaluating manuals. I still find that sort of investigation very useful
today. I've developed my own style, mostly due to trial and error, but also by
privately criticizing the work of others.

And if I ever wind up teaching this stuff (in either an academic or training
situation), I'll have some worthwhile exercises.

--
Keith Wolfe

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=