Re: [Fwd: Split Infinitive Now Respectable]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Split Infinitive Now Respectable]
From: Keith Wolfe <keith -at- MERGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:20:49 -0600

The way I remember it...

An infinitive is not a verb. An infinitive is a verbal (a form derived from a verb).

Verbals are not used as verbs, but as nouns, adjectives, and adverbs.
The three types of verbals are, if I remember correctly:
* Infinitive
* Participle
* Gerund

Infinitive (to + verb) [noun, adj, or adverb]
The man wants to sleep. ("to sleep" is the infinitive (D.O.)... "wants" is the verb).

Participle (past, present, etc.) [used as an adjective]
Confused users read manuals.

Gerund (verb + ing) [always a noun]
Opening a file is easy.

Verbals are not verbs, they are verbs used as nouns, adjectives, or adverbs.
To is a preposition, yes. As in:

"He gave the ring to his wife."

Prepositions show how nouns relate to the rest of the sentence.

My point:
To say (hey... there's an infinitive!) that infinitives do not use the word
"to" is incorrect, because ALL infinitives use the word "to" (to + verb). The
words belong together.

A split infinitive is when you separate the two. Like so:

"To properly operate the software" is a split infinitive.
"To operate the software properly" is correct.

Whether you split them or not is up to you and your writing style. I try to
avoid them, because that is my preference.

Keith Wolfe

--
Keith Wolfe

keith -at- merge -dot- com