Word 97 Table of Contents/Figures/Tables Question

Subject: Word 97 Table of Contents/Figures/Tables Question
From: Richard Feldman <rfeldman -at- CFSLC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:12:12 -0600

Greetings TECHWR-Lers,

I am attempting to create tables of figures and of tables for my
multi-section, multi-file Word 97 manual. I decided to do this by creating
styles for my figure captions and table titles called "Figure Caption" and
"Table Title", then using the "toc" field with the "\t" switch that, as
described in Word's online help "Builds a table of contents from paragraphs
formatted with styles other than the built-in heading styles." However,
the evidence that I've garnered from my experimentation leads me to believe
that, despite the fact that the Help example uses the non-built in style
names "chaptertitle" and "chapterhead," this switch only works with Word's
built in style names and not user-created ones. I can see a couple of
workarounds:

1) Instead of using the current style names, change them to unused Heading
numbers, e.g., Heading 8 and Heading 9, then use either the \o or \t switch.

2) Use the \c switch and the sequence identifiers. Unfortunately, I put
the sequence identifiers in the text and bookmarked them from the actual
captions and titles, so I'd have to switch things around.

Does anyone know either a secret way of getting the toc field to process
non-built in fields or additional workarounds?

TIA,
Richard

Richard Feldman, Technical Writer
Camber Flight Simulation LC
5550 Midway Park Place, Albuquerque, NM 87109 e-mail: rfeldman -at- cfslc -dot- com
PH: (505) 342-5369 FX: (505) 343-0766

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=