Re: The Kiss of Death

Subject: Re: The Kiss of Death
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:50:00 -0700

>> Laurie Morgan, in her response to releasing military backgrounds in a job
>> search wrote, "On the other hand, a software development company (where
>> there is a cultural
>> emphasis on creativity and flexibility in design of both product and
>> documentation) might be uneasy with someone with military background,
>> making
>> the assumption (rightly or wrongly) that someone with that
>> background might
>> be
>> too rigid and inflexible to adapt to a rapidly changing environment."
>

> I am a military retiree with 27 years of service and, while I honor your
> viewpoint, I cannot agree with it on two levels.

Sorry Laurie, I'm going to agree with David.

I too am a military retiree with 20 years service. I've spent the past 15
years working as a technical writer or writing manager at several Silicon
Valley software companies. None of my jobs have been with companies holding
military or government contracts. My military service, which includes
graduation from the Defense Language Institute, has never hurt my chances of
being hired or advanced. Nor has my four college degrees, three earned
attending night classes while in the military.

Best,

Denise L. Fritch
Sr. Tech Writer
IntelliCorp, Inc.