Document Numbering/Configuration

Subject: Document Numbering/Configuration
From: Ginna Watts <gwatts -at- QUESTERCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:28:45 -0700

Hi all,

Our mishmash of document numbering systems is slowly grinding to a halt. We
currently use five different document numbering schemes: quality, technical,
user, research and the lovely catch-all, 'internal'. No system is really
working, so they have turned to me (Lone Tech Writer to the rescue), and
said "Ginna, why don't you come up with a new document numbering system that
will cover everything?".

So. I've delved in deep enough to realize that this will be something we
will only want to do once. I have some ideas, but I figured I'd ask if
anyone has any experience in this sort of task. I've looked at the systems
for our clients (what's visible to us anyway), but they don't seem to be all
that great either.

So here are the questions:

What sorts of document numbering systems do you use?
Does your company have one that covers all documents, or do they vary
according to purpose?
Are you happy with your document numbering system? If not, what's wrong?
(and what would you do to change it?)
If you don't number your documents, is that a 'decision' or has it just
happened that way?

And finally...
Does anyone else participate in 'configuration management'? To what extent?

TIA, Ginna

Ginna Watts, Technical Writer
Quester Tangent Corporation
Sidney, BC