Re: XML, anyone?

Subject: Re: XML, anyone?
From: Guru <guru -at- BOM5 -dot- VSNL -dot- NET -dot- IN>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 09:58:45 +0530

Tim,

TWIN recently had a talk on XML by Jasminder Singh Gulati, Technical
Evangelist, Microsoft. The talk was in New Delhi, India. I think it was a
coup of some sort for us. Therefore I was immensely pleased with your
question about XML being on anyone's radar screen.

Here is a tiny synopsis of the talk as posted by Shikha on the TWIN list.

What's all this about the XML thing?

The TWIN Chapter Delhi met for the second time on 10th October 1998 at the
Microsoft office, Nehru Place. Jasminder Singh Gulati, Technical Evangelist,
talked about MSOffice 2000...<snipped> and XML.

Jasminder touched upon Microsoft's support of the Extensible Markup Language
(XML) - the universal format for data on the Web. XML describes data,
whereas
HTML defines tags to present data. Some advantages of XML include more
meaningful search, flexible web applications, and open standards. He also
briefly talked about Dynamic HTML (DHTML), and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).

You may contact Shyam Balachandran, who managed the coup (Shyam, take a
bow), for any more details. His email address is bala -at- cadence -dot- com -dot-

Guru (guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in)
Check out TWIN (TechWriters of India) at http://members.tripod.com/~Kamath
TWIN archives at http://www.egroups.com/list/tw-in

You said:

>I've been approached to do a book about XML, and I was wondering if XML had
>penetrated yet to any of the other corners of techwhirldom.
>
>XML is an excellent adjunct to the structured documentation that SW has
>always done anyway, and I can see its benefits even from afar. But is it on
>anybody's radar screen but mine?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=