Re: Screen Capture Placement

Subject: Re: Screen Capture Placement
From: "David B. Demyan" <dbdemyan -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 15:00:03 -0700

Barb:

In simple WinHelp designs, I like to put small screen caps
at the top of the topic, then put a **few** instructions or
description below it. However, this practice does not apply
for bigger screen caps and longer instructions, which should
be split into two or more topics to avoid scrolling.

The problem is that people using help systems fly through
them so fast, I fear there is a risk of users not seeing
instructions or descriptions if they have to scroll down.
In the WinHelp business, you have to put the important
stuff (whatever that may be) up top. Imagine the complaints
you would get if your system relied on showing examples
for recognition and the screen sample was at the very
bottom of the topic, scrolled off-screen on most systems!

Dave.

[snip]

--
David B. Demyan dbd -at- mendem -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=