Re: One easy lesson (WAS: Tech writing interviews)

Subject: Re: One easy lesson (WAS: Tech writing interviews)
From: "David B. Demyan" <dbdemyan -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:56:41 -0700

Diane and list:

I think that is an excellent approach. (Telling the client you are
in the business to sell your services.) I have to force myself to be
less helpful to the poor, woebegone clients sometimes.

I had another thought on this subject: The same advice is probably
valid for those of us who write bids or proposals to get work.
I think you have to tell the prospects just enough to let them know
you know what you're talking about, but not enough that they
can solve their problems or plan the project themselves. Keep
all of your ideas on a high level in the bid, then fill in the details
in the actual project plan and outline if you get the work.
"Less is more" in this case.

Dave.

Diane Williams wrote:

[snip]

> Aren't we all eager to show how helpful we can be? I think in my
> successful interviews, when I've been asked if I knew something or
> could do something, I simply said "Yes." If an interviewer were to
> press you for details you can ask, "Aren't you in the business of
> selling your services to a customer? Yes? Well then, so am I!"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=