Re: One easy lesson (WAS: Tech writing interviews)

Subject: Re: One easy lesson (WAS: Tech writing interviews)
From: Peter Collins <peter -dot- collins -at- BIGFOOT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:19:32 +1000

David wrote: "The same advice is probably valid for those of us who write
bids or proposals to get work. I think you have to tell the prospects just
enough to let them know you know what you're talking about, but not enough
that they can solve their problems or plan the project themselves.
Almost twenty years ago I was taught by a wise and gentle manager to
ask MORE questions and offer LESS opinions. This works brilliantly in
proposals and interviews. Some of you may already have noticed that I tend
to ask questions even in these letters. Haven't you? Well, maybe I should
do it more often. Think about it - if an interviewee, posed with a
hypothetical, REALLY addressed it with 'real world' seriousness, what would
their first action be? That's right - get all the facts before leaping to
conclusions. And knowing what questions to ask - doesn't that reveal
expertise too? Perhaps also demonstrate mature competence and judgement?
"Before outlining a proposal for the preparation of these documents, a
number of questions have to be asked. Who are the intended readers? What
can be assumed about their knowledge and aptitudes? What, exactly, must
they know after completing the tutorial? How long will they be able to
spend on their reading? From the answers to such questions will flow the
style and structure of a tutorial that will guide its readers quickly and
easily to mastery of our product - otherwise we risk writing over their
heads, or patronising, or overwhelming them with such volumes that they
never see the half of it. And so the writing effort is wasted, the detail
never learnt, and perhaps worst of all, our product, with its best features
unrecognised and unused, never gains the market reputation that its quality
and attention to detail would so richly have deserved "
Sorry for the purple prose - but do you get the drift? Oh, and is the
"our product" an accident? Should it be left that way? Why? Or why not?
Enough for one night, fellow kiddy-winkies.
From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=