Re: Hogs

Subject: Re: Hogs
From: Roy Anderson <royanderson -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 22:52:55 -0500

Tyrin Avery wrote:

> More Interesting Info About Word
>
> Roy Anderson wrote:
> "RAM is so cheap today that there's simply no reason for anyone to
> continue suffering memory problems. Add more inexpensive RAM and
> move on."
>
> This is true, however, getting enough memory may not fix all of your
> "Insufficient Memory" messages, as any dedicated (and likely insane)
> Word user knows. When Word is having formatting problems, (as is common
> in documents which have been updated through several version of Word,
> have many objects inserted, or are very long), word will default to
> "Insufficient Memory" messages.
>
> WARNING: This often means that corruption is nigh! Save your document
> early and often, because you may be about to lose it. With formatting
> corruption you will probably be able to save your text by extracting
> some of it (though likely not all) to an .RTF file. This means, of
> course, that you will lose most of your formatting.
>
> What can you do to prevent this, fix this, or work around it?
> 1) Backup your document
> 2) If the formatting problems have developed recently, you can try and
> figure out where the problems are by saving it as a RTF file and seeing
> if it goes hinky anywhere.
> 3) Pay a consultant referred by Microsoft to find and fix the corruption
> in the file.
>
> There is no way to prevent the corruption, or so a Microsoft Customer
> Help representative told me. Alright, there is ONE way; Don't use Word.

Try this simple approach before calling in the expensive MS consultants:

1. Create a copy of the file and save it in an archive folder in the event
you MUST have access to the file's revision history. If you don't need
to track all the revisions made to the file, ignore this step. Do so at
your own risk. The copy will contain your revision data so rely on it
for document management if you must.

2. Open the Word document, go to Tools > Revisions and accept ALL revisions.

3. Save As the document. Overwrite the old version.

If problems later arise because of additional editing, repeat the procedure.

This might not work for you but it solves major problems with heavily-edited
.doc files--particularly in our RoboHELP and graphics-intensive workplace. It
also has the benefit of reducing our file sizes by 25-75%.

Good luck.

Roy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=