Re: Hogs

Subject: Re: Hogs
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 20:11:58 -0800

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998 14:56:32 -0500, Roy Anderson wrote:

>RAM is so cheap today that there's simply no reason for anyone to
>continue suffering memory problems. Add more inexpensive RAM and
>move on.

That depends on the cause of the out-of-memory problems. Windows will more
often than not use up its resource heaps long before it runs out of physical
and virtual memory, especially if you have numerous apps running, or even too
many folders open. Adding more RAM will not make a speck of difference to
this problem, because it is not RAM-related, but is a design limitation of
Windows held over from the 3.1 days.

Your only solutions in this case is to close down all unnecessary programs,
switch to applications that don't use as much of the limited available
resources, or switch to an operating system that doesn't have these
limitations.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

Of my friend, I can only say this:
Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels,
His was the most... human.
- Adm. James T. Kirk
Spock's Eulogy, Stardate 8141.6

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=