Re: HTML-Benefit?

Subject: Re: HTML-Benefit?
From: Janet Ruiz <JanetRuiz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 23:53:44 EST

I have been closely monitoring whether or not HTML-based help is feasible at
this time. My answer is a resounding --- NO! I have been to the 45th STC
Conference (held in Anaheim) and also recently listened to lecture given by
Joe Welinski at a recent Orange County STC meeting. Welinski is coauthor of
the book, Developing Online Help. Just to give you some other back ground on
Welinski's authority of the subject, he recently became a prticipating member
of the World Wide Web consortium. His goal as a member is to provide input for
the direction of standard HTML for online help development technologies. Up
until now, HTML-based help has not been represented at the consortium. All
standards to date focus on general documentation to the Web. I came away from
Welink's lecture and the STC conference with the notion that at the current
time, Winhelp (rtf-based help) is a much better solution for both users and
online Help developers. The answer seems to be the same everywhere I
turn....HTML-based help simply is not ready for prime time.
Janet Ruiz
Technical Communicator

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=