Re: HTML-Benefit?

Subject: Re: HTML-Benefit?
From: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- HOME -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 23:37:12 -0600

Interesting opinion, but based on what?
Please, as a Technical Communicator, be specific. You wrote of the
lecturers' credentials, but nothing of the information he imparted that
triggered your resounding rejection of html-based help.
If you wish to persuade your readers, share with them the information you
have acquired and not just the opinion you've formed based on that
information.

At 11:53 PM 11/3/98 -0500, Janet Ruiz wrote:
>I have been closely monitoring whether or not HTML-based help is feasible at
>this time. My answer is a resounding --- NO! I have been to the 45th STC
>Conference (held in Anaheim) and also recently listened to lecture given by
>Joe Welinski at a recent Orange County STC meeting. Welinski is coauthor of
>the book, Developing Online Help. Just to give you some other back ground on
>Welinski's authority of the subject, he recently became a prticipating member
>of the World Wide Web consortium. His goal as a member is to provide input
for
>the direction of standard HTML for online help development technologies. Up
>until now, HTML-based help has not been represented at the consortium. All
>standards to date focus on general documentation to the Web. I came away
from
>Welink's lecture and the STC conference with the notion that at the current
>time, Winhelp (rtf-based help) is a much better solution for both users and
>online Help developers. The answer seems to be the same everywhere I
>turn....HTML-based help simply is not ready for prime time.
>Janet Ruiz
>Technical Communicator
>

>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

Ed Gregory