2000 AD: Future Trends in Technical Writing

Subject: 2000 AD: Future Trends in Technical Writing
From: Guru <guru -at- BOM5 -dot- VSNL -dot- NET -dot- IN>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 07:58:40 +0530

Hello all,

Firstly, my grateful thanks for all the wonderful wisdom that I have
received from this list and keep receiving. I will be giving a talk at a
seminar in Bangalore on 2000 AD: Future Trends in Technical Writing on
November 26th. Basically, I propose to cover well known points like:

*move towards online documentation
*move towards web documentation
*move away from paperbased documents
*HTML Help
*platform independence
*user interface as a substitute for documentation
*move towards multimedia.

and skip points like:

* need for gazzillion MB RAM to run Office 2000
* need to do documentation in Internet Explorer 2000 or whatever it is
called!

Also, I hope to cover the qualities/methodolgoies required to do
documentation in 2000 AD! Typically,

*need to learn new softwares quickly
*online collaboration
*online reviews
*complete familiarity with Web
*online production and delivery (PDF).

I am sure the experienced and wise members of this list would have lots of
ideas on these subjects. Would you like to share them with me -- and the
technical writers of India? Please write to me directly at
guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in -dot- Needless to add, will give you credit for your ideas
in my talk (and in subsequent publication on the TWN site). Also, will post
a summary of responses on November 30th.

Guru (guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in)
Check out TWIN (TechWriters of India) at http://members.tripod.com/~Kamath
TWIN archives at http://www.egroups.com/list/tw-in