Re: Query: Docs delivery via web?

Subject: Re: Query: Docs delivery via web?
From: Mark Dempsey <mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:07:35 -0800

We've posted our docs to an internal website as pdf (Acrobat). Since
Acrobat is now available as a plug-in for Netscape (and others, I
assume), the docs can be read online directly, or downloaded. You must
use Netscape 4.5, incidentally, to have the option once Acrobat is a
plug-in.

When they're printed, these docs duplicate almost exactly our FrameMaker
books (sorry, no fancy covers). I can report some initial raggedness
getting readers up to speed on Acrobat, but an "Acrobat tips" link on
our online docs page solved much of that problem.

This has been a big hit, especially with writers and managers who felt
they were in the order processing business. Now users can simply click
on a link to get the docs they want without disturbing writers. We also
now can ship our docs in pdf format on the CD that accompanies our
product.

As for formatting changes (Online vs Print), we know we have a ways to
go there. So far, we're using a one-size-fits-all template, but have an
exclusively online template in the works. The thought is to import the
online formatting (don't you just love FrameMaker) into open files,
print them to pdf, but not save them. That way we'd have two formats
from a single source. Anyone else tried this (we haven't yet)?

TTFN

--
Regards,

-- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
--
-- Mark Dempsey
-- Technical Publications

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=