Copyrights

Subject: Copyrights
From: Tracey Moore <traceym -at- APPLIEDMAPPING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:24:34 -0500

We want to quote an article in the text of one of our documents. I have tried contacted the magazine to ask for reprint permission, and they insist on us purchasing printed reprints. (Actually, I think the salesperson is just a pain.) I have since written them explaining that we don't want to include printed reprints, that we want to pull quotes from the article, and of course reference the article. I have contacted them again and again, and they won't return my call.

My question is: Is it legal to pull quotes from an article without permission? I know we did it all the time in college, but a public relations friend of mine said she thinks that is illegal, but generally accepted in academia.

Anyone know the real answer? Know where I can find the real answer?

Thanks.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000