FW: We are Contractors: Resistance is futile

Subject: FW: We are Contractors: Resistance is futile
From: Tracey Moore <traceym -at- APPLIEDMAPPING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:48:03 -0500

It sounds like you're not telling the companies that you're a contractor. I'd mention that in my cover letter so as not to waste their time and yours.

I have found contracts in different ways:

1. Through technical recruiters (such as Ajilon, System One, Arthur Andersen). Talk with fellow tech writers and get the names of recruiters in your area. Search the yellow pages and make some phone calls.

2. Pal around with other tech writers and contractors. They will often hear of jobs available. Contractors, in particular, may receive calls on jobs that they can't fit into their schedule. . .they'd usually rather recommend someone than be of no help to their clients. . .or maybe they'll subcontract with you! (Keep your ears open for jobs for your fellow tech writers too! What comes around goes around.)

3. Go to STC meetings and make it known that you're available for contracting. Talk to the employment chairperson if there is one. Go to other business meetings and do the same.

4. Place an ad in the business section of your local newspaper. "So and So Consulting is available for blah blah blah."

5. Join the STC independent contractor sig. They send out a wonderful newsletter every other month (I think--I lose track of time), and is great for contacts and resources.

6. Tell anyone and everyone what you do for a living. Hand out your business cards wherever you go (I'd somehow put consulting services on the card.)

7. Attend job fairs and pass out your business cards and brochures.

8. Send a letter and brochure to companies you know that hire tech writers.

Hope this helps and that I gave you some new information, not the same old same old.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000