Read any good books lately?

Subject: Read any good books lately?
From: Carl Stieren <carls -at- CYBERUS -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:49:32 -0500

Colleagues,

Has anyone read any of the following books? If so, could you give me a
paragraph or two about them, with your opinion?

Has anyone seen any reviews of any of these books online? Where?

Finally, is the author of any of these books reading TECHWR-L now? If so,
would you please do the impossible and summarize your book in two paragraphs?

Some of the following books were recommended by a colleague who teaches
technical writing at a university and others were ones I found on the web,
sans review:

John A. Anderson's (1995) Technical Communication (Harcourt Brace)

The Art of Technical Documentation
Katherine Haramundanis / Paperback / Published 1997 (I'm embarrassed
not to have read this one, since Kathy Haramundanis is last year's
SIGDOC chair)

Thomas Barker's (1998) Writing Software Documentation:
A Task-Oriented Approach (Allyn & Bacon).

Technically--Write!; Communicating in a Technological Era
by Ron S. Blicq / 5 Edition Binding: Paperback / Published 1998

Scenarios for Technical Communication; Critical Thinking and Writing
by Teresa C. Kynell, Wendy Krieg Stone / Binding: Paperback /
Published 1998

Technical Writing Basics; A Guide to Style and Form
Brian Holloway / Paperback / Published 1998

Handbook of Technical Writing
Charles T. Brusaw, et al / Hardcover / Published 1997

Gerald Alred, Walter Oliu, & Charles Brusaw's (1992)
The Professional Writer: A Guide for Advanced Technical
Writing (St. Martin's)

Arthur Bell's (1995) Tools for Technical and Professional
Communication (NTC).

Carolyn Boiarsky's (1993) Technical Writing: Contexts,
Audiences, and Communities (Allyn & Bacon).

- Carl
Carl Stieren .....................................email: carls -at- cyberus -dot- ca
Technical Writer and Designer......................deep in Silicon Tundra
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.........................1 hr 40 min from Montreal
Carl's "Text and Subtext" Web Page..................www.cyberus.ca/~carls

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=