Re: SOP/ M&P Documentation

Subject: Re: SOP/ M&P Documentation
From: "Brian, Flaherty" <bflaher -at- INDCON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:57:03 -0500

Yes, the "SOP" manual. This usually involves day-to-day task-oriented
activities for a particular corporate department (group, segment, etc.).

For example, in my early days, I did Computer Room SOPs which included
Disaster Recovery Procedures (making tape backups and performing tape
restores), System Start-up/Restart Procedures (called "booting" for the
PC crowd; "IPL" for the mainframe crowd), Emergency Shutdown Procedures;
and the dreaded Emergency Test Procedures (yep, the "halon gas" test --
you're laughing loud and hard old timers!!!).

My earliest job were procedures for ordering parts for a mainframe
computer support business. This was a mixture of how to fill-out the
parts form and use the archaic System 10 (old Sears midrange system) to
do a parts look-up to make sure it was in stock (or to see if I had to
purchase it from IBM or some other third party).

Methods and procedures may be all system-oriented, or a mix of business
tasks (business steps) and computer related tasks (did a lot of that at
Summit Bank,or, should I say United Jersey Banks, before it became
Summit Bank). I remember documenting a loan procedure which involved
using an old Lotus 1-2-3 spread sheet.

You may need to document such procedures around a specific role (such as
Shift Supervisor, or Lead Programmer, or Lead OS Operator in the
Computer Room, etc.).

Oh, oh, gray hairs are showin'! Time for a touch up.

Hope this clarifies SOP (or M&Ps).

Brian Flaherty
ICS, Paramus, NJ (USA)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=