Results of Survey Asking Your Opinion

Subject: Results of Survey Asking Your Opinion
From: Julie Levitt <julie_levitt -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:19:02 PST

Good day, fellow list members. You might recall that about a week and
half ago, I wrote and asked your opinion on how an aspiring technical
communicator could break into the field. (My question asked you to
consider some specific data about the person's qualifications and
background.) The response was remarkable and, frankly, overwhelming.
More than thirty people took the time to write personal notes, most of
quite some length and detail, about their opinions and experiences. I
summarize below what the responses were; before we get to that, though,
I want to thank and acknowledge each of you personally:

Melissa Alton
Daniel W. Byrne
Peter Collins
Brad Connatser
Joseph Devney
Deb Hardy Dore
Andy Dugas
Paul Dunham
Lynn Gottlieb
Betty Gravlin
Susan Hamilton
Marsha Howard
Charlene Hirschi
Andrea Kenner
Ben Kovitz
Tim Matzell
Jim McAward
Deborah McDaniel
Sharon McLeod
Colleen O'Connor
Bill Paine
Joy Michele Prescott
Janet L. Renze
Mary Reynolds
Rick Ross
Sella Rush
Bill Swallow
Misti Tucker
Michael Andrew Uhl
Maureen and Bryan West
Cam Whetstone

Some people also shared their personal websites (Paul Dunham, Peter
Collins), or directed me to others' like the American Medical Writers'
Association and FreelanceOnLine.Com. Paul Dunham's website
(www.cloudnet.com/~pdunham/newbietechwriterhome.html) is really
something; it is specifically directed to issues facing the new
technical communicator looking for a job -- I found it extremely
informative and useful for people like my fellow students and me who are
"newbies." Some of his tips might be useful even for the established
technical comunicator. Also, please note that list member and medical
writer Daniel Byrne has a new, well-received book out, "Publishing Your
Medial Research Paper -- What They Don't Teach in Medical School."

One little tidbit I would throw in from my own research is the book,
"Making Money in Technical Writing," by Peter Kent. I don't know if he
is a member of this list, but I actually found techwr-l and techcomm
through his book and the book is chock full of good information.

Here, then, the results in very summary form:

1) join societies (such as STC and local writers' organizations) and
e-mail lists (such as techwr-l and techcomm) and NETWORK, NETWORK,
NETWORK;
2) do internships;
3) create and build up a professional portfolio of writing samples
(include actual work, mock projects you have done on your own, and
anything you can do for volunteer organizations that need written
materials), and include an introduction to each sample explaining what
it is, who the audience is, what the subject is, the style and format of
the document, and why you chose to include it in the portfolio -- what
it shows about you as a writer;
4) volunteer to work as event staff at technical communication-oriented
events, seminars, and competitions to meet people, get valuable
experience, and keep abreast of current thinking in the field;
5)look for unexpected writing opportunities at your current job (writing
procedure manuals, etc.)
6) use internet jobsites (both post your resume and look for jobs) as
well as searching classified ads;
7) read "What Color Is Your Parachute?" by Richard Bolles;
8) take classes and keep learning about the field;
9) prepare a resume that is tailored to the specific job for which you
are applying;
10) keep a database of all potential employers you have contacted;
11) when an opportunity comes along that you know would better suit
someone else, try to refer the recruiter to a colleague whose skills or
needs would be a better match;
12) learn the tools of the trade including Word or WordPerfect,
Framemaker, HTML, Robohelp, Photoshop, and Powerpoint;
13) learn about the company with which you are interviewing before you
go;
14) do informational interviews; and,
15) publish in other areas, especially technically-oriented materials.

I hope you found this as informative and interesting as I did. Thank
you all once again.

Julie Levitt

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=