Conclusion: Online technical writing workshops

Subject: Conclusion: Online technical writing workshops
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- NBG -dot- DE>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 18:00:00 +0100

Hello Rowena,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von rhart -at- XCERT -dot- COM an All am 17.11.98

rr> A few months ago myself and a few other people on the
rr> TECHWR-L listserve tried to organize an online
rr> technical writing workshop.

I started two spin-off mailing lists from TECHWR-L: t-itwg and t-telcom

Both attempts failed in the long run. Either you have someone who spends hours
and hours on inspiring the people and keeps the discussions on track or the
lists have hardly any chance to survive.

I operate several German mailing lists for translators. Most of them work
extremely well - u-forum has 330 participants who wrote some 1200 messages
during this month. But I spend more hours than I want to count in guiding and
helping the people there.

My mailing lists are in German. If you have some command of this language you
might be interested in my Web site (http://members.xoom.com/AvO).

Some aspects of my Web site might be interesting even for those who hardly
understand what is in there: My Web site consists of some 150 HTML files that
are connected by about 1200 links. E.g., there is an index - a single page
containing more that 100 outgoing links. My authoring tool creates and
maintains these (ans some 800 more) links automatically.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance technical writer (electronics, software)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=