Certification--the only compelling reason for

Subject: Certification--the only compelling reason for
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- ITEXCHSRV2 -dot- PHX -dot- MCD -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:41:04 -0700

I can think of only one truly compelling reason for certification--to get
your resume past HR.

Think about it. You send your resume to a company, where an HR body looks
at it and ticks off all of your qualifications that match the job's
advertised requirements. Those with the most matches are passed on to
someone who might know something about hiring Tech Writers. Those with the
least are tossed aside.

As more Tech Writing programs are springing up in universities around the
world, more and more ads for TWs have some sort of certificate or degree
requirement in them (ooh, another tick mark). I would hate to have my
resume tossed simply because I was missing that tick, and some young
whippersnapper (okay, I'm not that old really) who happens to have the
degree or certification gets the interview because they do.

I have said before, a stellar portfolio, job knowledge, and interview skills
do no good if they are not seen. You have to pass the weeding out process
first, and this is another tangible method companies to filter resumes
(along with "must know HelpBlaster2001, WordMaker7,
WebSpinner2.5.b, and be able to sing, tap dance, and juggle simultaneously,
etc.).

Jason
I have no opinions, just temporary mental trends

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=