How do you manage document releases / maintenance?

Subject: How do you manage document releases / maintenance?
From: Pamela Jasper <JISCorp -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:22:48 EST

Hi,

On a recent interview (which turned into an offer) I was asked how a tech
writer project manager would go about the process of designing technical
documents for future maintenance by the client in the event that I leave. He
made the analogy between technical documents and source code, wondering if I
would take an 'object oriented' approach to document design and structure to
promote future plug n play maintenance of the document for future releases.

Can someone share light on how they approach document design for future
maintenance i.e. templates, etc? Is there any software onthe market that
manages documents and all of their supporting auxillary files i.e links to
the graphic and other multimedia files?

Thanks.

Pamela Jasper
Jasper Information Systems Corp.