Re: Front Page

Subject: Re: Front Page
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:57:39 -0500

Arlen Walker reported:

Anyway, the letter is at http://www.macintouch.com/msfrontpage.html and it
contends that Front Page alters your HTML so that it can only be served up
by MS servers, and in many cases alters the HTML itself so that it can
only be edited by FrantPage (the letter talks specifically about how it
modifes image maps to be Front page specific). There have already been a
number of followups posted.

I noticed that myself this weekend. I used Front Page to update a web site
I've been maintaining for a nonprofit group. Biiiiig mistake. The pages
which were modified now won't link to the unmodified pages unless I open
each of them in FP and save. Can't edit the image maps. Pages that used
to work from a UNIX server, with no modifications other than the
Open-in-FP-and-save mentioned above, are now 'broken' on that server.
Color specs were changed, table specs were changed, all without
notification of any kind.

<RANT>
Nasssty software that secretly alters files in ways the user would
certainly not approve. Hmmm. If it weren't produced by the largest
software company in the world, I suspect we'd be calling it a virus,
forcing its creator to perform several hundred hours of community service,
and preventing him from accessing the Internet for the duration of his
sentence. We certainly wouldn't be allowing him to profit from his crime.
</RANT>

Sorry, no more time to chat now. Gotta go repair a web site <grrrrrrrr>.
With BBEdit, thankyouverymuch.

Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
Technical writing Editing Document design Web site planning

"The first rule of holes is that when you're standing in one up
to your eyeballs, stop digging." /J.A. Jance, _Lying in Wait_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=