Re : Securing Help Files

Subject: Re : Securing Help Files
From: Mark Craig <mcraig -at- WINCAPSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:47:03 +0100

>I am researching the following question:
>
>Can you restrict access to topics within a help system?
WinHelp for 32-bit Windows allows you to federate multiple help files under
the same .cnt. Microsoft does this for Visual Basic for Applications help.
As a result, if you install VBA with Word 97, but you didn't buy and
install Excel97, you don't see the Excel topics when you open help. The
secret is Hlp95en.dll and a couple of macros in your .rtf and .hpj files.

This solution implies that you split help files by audience and cooperate
with integration to make sure installation allows users to install only
what they have access to. Not a total nightmare, but you ought to make a
few sketches on the back of the napkin first, especially since you cannot
do conditional includes in .hpj's.

HTMLHelp offers "Information Types" which looks like a possible solution to
the problem. I have not used HTMLHelp's Information Types yet, however.

BTW, that reminds me: how do you go from VB-style WinHelp to VB6 style
HTMLHelp? Has someone out there used a conversion tool? My VBA help project
.rtf files use naerefo.dot for Word95.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=