Re: Reasons for Contracting (spawn from Job (Di)Satisfaction)

Subject: Re: Reasons for Contracting (spawn from Job (Di)Satisfaction)
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 15:18:42 -0500

When I was a contractor, I justified it to potential clients as:

1) Constant challenges. I like to keep busy and contracting helps me avoid the
slow, non-productive times.

2) Variety. I get to work in a number of different environments, and allows
me to almost always bring a fresh perspective to the job.

3) Knowledge. By working in so many different environments, I have the
opportunity to become familiar with a variety of processes and tools. This
allows me to objectively see what works and what doesn't.

4) I am not a clock person, and most companies expect employees to work 9 to
5. By being a contractor I am able to exercise a more flexible work schedule
(usually more than 8 hours a day) that is non-threatening to a company's
permanent staff.

5) Greater income - although I never mentioned this one!

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree